RV Rental Insurance – Binders … what the?!

Without the included insurance provided by RVShare and Outdoorsy, we probably wouldn’t be renting our RV’s right now! Understanding the difference between paying for the included insurance vs providing your own is important and they can also be complementary.

There are some advantages to using your own insurance, mostly price & roadside assistance, so in this post we’ll highlight what an insurance binder is, and how you can get one, which all depends on who you use as your insurance provider.

Due to age, if you book ‘Eagle 5’ on RVshare, you’ll be required to provide an insurance binder. This unit IS covered under Outdoorsy’s insurance policies, so if you are unable to obtain a binder, you can book on Outdoorsy and still be covered. Outdoorsy does charge extra for roadside assistance ($15 per day).

RV Rental Insurance Binder Definition

By law, of course, you’ve got to have insurance when renting an RV. Just like with a car, insurance protects the driver and owner in the case of any sort of incident. What exactly is an insurance binder for an RV rental though?

Put simply, it’s temporary RV rental insurance that is offered by your insurance company until a policy can be issued. For example, it’s usually a single page document that contains specific information such as all the names of the insured, the type of policy, and definite time limits.

An RV rental insurance binder (or any RV insurance, really) requires a list of two things:

  • Liability insurance, that covers you if anyone gets hurt or tries to sue you
  • Actual RV rental insurance, which covers you in case of an accident

Keep in mind that not all auto insurance companies offer insurance binders. So it’s something you should find out about as early in the planning process as possible.

Auto Insurance Companies Offering Free RV Rental Binders:

  • State Farm
  • Farmers
  • AAA
  • USAA
  • 21st Century
  • AllState

Auto Insurance Companies NOT Offering RV Rental Binders:

  • Geico
  • Liberty Mutual
  • Wawanesa
  • Mercury
  • Travelers
  • Progressive
  • Amica
  • Ameriprise
  • GMAC
  • Hartford
  • Nationwide
  • Most “off brand” policies (e-surance, Freeway, Fred Loya, etc..)

If you have a full coverage auto policy with at least $500k liability, and $200k comprehensive and collision, call your auto insurance agent and find out if you can add our vehicle into your policy. This is sometimes called an “Insurance Binder” or “Insurance Certificate”. We will need to be added to your insurance policy as a “Loss Payee” and “Additional Insured”.

When making a reservation let us know you’re interested in going through you personal insurance and we will email you an insurance binder request to forward to your insurance agent. They will do the rest.